Sunday, July 28, 2013

Beef: Bring it.

Burgers.
Meatballs.
Spaghetti sauce.
But most of all? Steak. Ooooooh, how I love thee. And it's not something I treat myself to that often at home because really, I haven't a bloody clue how to grill. Plus I don't own a BBQ, which is rather essential and I've never tried using my George Foreman for anything other than ground beef. Although there is a BBQ here where I am housesitting all summer...yet I fear turning it on, lest I singe off my face and I have no one around to call 911 as I live alone. *Uh...that took a rather overdramatic turn...*

So this was the compromise! I broiled some lovely thin flank steaks, stuffed with goodness. Check it:

HUZZAH!

Steak rollies.

Now it's your turn! Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
Saute' 3/4 of a large box of organic fresh spinach, until wilted down.

In a medium bowl, combine:
1 wee jar of sundried tomatoes, drained
2 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
1 egg yolk
Garlic salt and pepper
Your saute'ed spinach

~ Season your meat with additional sprinkling of the S&P. Then spread an even amount of the filling on each of your steaks; leave a bit of room around the edges. I also mixed in some feta (shocker, I know) as the original recipe called for blue cheese but I'm not a fan of that stuff. Do as you see fit; that's the fun in cooking, modifying it to whatever you want to do! No rules!
OK, OK. There's some rules. Like, don't serve this raw. Time to roll them up and put them in the oven. I secured each of mine with dental floss as I didn't have cooking twine and it worked like a hot damn.


(Yeah they look a bit creepy here, I agree. But after about 35 minutes of roasting, plus a quick 5-minute broil (sadly mine had a 10-minute broil and as you see below from the color, it was too much.) I did say I would admit my wins and losses on here, sigh.

Alas, it was still damn tasty! Enjoy your fancy pants creation with some fresh veg and a lovely starch.
Thanks for tuning in to another entry. Now get cooking,
Stace.
 
Source: http://www.familycircle.com/recipes/comfortfood/stuffed-flank-steak/?page=4

No comments: