Saturday, September 14, 2013

Oh, sweet crunchiness.

When I need a snack, my brain automatically goes to the salty goodness of popcorn. But sometimes you need a quick shot of protein and maybe some sweetness, so I made a batch of these tonight:

What is that, you ask? Answer: Oven roasted seasoned chickpeas. Yup. 

I know I say "this is so easy" on EVERY recipe, but it really is! I write this blog because I want to help non-cookers/bakers get in the kitchen. So here's a snack you can eat while in your car doing your bajillion errands. Or at your desk. Or even when you *gasp!* take some time for yourself in the evening in front of the telly. 

 All you need is:

~ 1 can of chickpeas (mine are currently drained, rinsed, and sitting on a paper towel to dry when I took this shot. Make sure you do the same!) 
~ 1/2 Tbspn olive oil 
~ 1 Tbspn honey 
~ 1/2 Tspn cinnamon 
~ 1/8 Tspn nutmeg 
~ 1/8 Tspn sea salt*

Set your oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Wish I had the latter, but since I have not yet picked one up, the parchment works pefectly well.

Spread out the 'peas on the pan and throw it in the oven for about 40 minutes.

Test one and if it's still a bit soft, give it about another 5 or 10 minutes. 

Next, pour them into your mixing bowl while still hot, and add your remaining ingredients. Give them a good stir-about, then pop them back in the oven for 10 more minutes to crisp up the coating.
I know you smiled when you saw Lil' Red. My cooking buddy. He keeps me on my toes. (Ie: That's my timer.)

*As mentioned earlier, my tooth is more savory than sweet, so I sprinkled a little extra salt on them. Let them cool then store in an air tight container. I'm a big fan of "why buy that when I've already got this?", so a jar that used to hold Mott's applesauce now works perfectly for my little edible friends.

High five to effortless, good-for-you recipes! 

Get cooking, 
Stace.
Source: http://www.fitsugar.com/Roasted-Honey-Cinnamon-Chickpeas-27908653

3 comments:

Laura said...

You need a "follow me" option... because I'm drooling!

Monica McGarry said...

YU-U-UM

Unknown said...

These look delicious Stace!