Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Canape? Can-a-please.

Definition: The canape is an appetizer consisting usually of a thin slice of bread or toast spread with caviar or cheese or other savory food. 

Well, the tasty vessel used in this one was a chewy apricot, no bread or toasty bits of carbo-goodness. I was off to a housewarming party and I wanted to make something non-sticky, non-plate-requiring, yay-for-working-with-wine-and-other-liquors. Result? Turkish apricots topped with goat cheese goodness. 

Sweet Mother. These? Were awesome. There's a wee chance I ate 2 or 6 of these before we headed to the party.

Here's what I used: 

 ~ A sackful (no idea of the actual count) of turkish apricots. I found them at Bulk Barn. If you have this store, go. Go now. Go for the apricots and other fabulous ingredients. Such as.... 

~ Almonds! Dry roasted, no salt. *You're gonna season them yourself. Later. 
~ A lovely brick of goat cheese. 
~ Green onions.
~ Half n' half coffee cream. 
~ Seasonings. 

Step one: Put that gorgeous cheese in a bowl. Here's the brand I found at Save-On Foods: 

Two: Add a smidge of the cream; just enough to make the cheese a bit more...pliable? Spreadable? Yes. 
 
Three: Flavor your almonds. I put about a teaspoon of olive oil in a pan, heated 'er up, then added the almonds. Toss these constantly for about 4-5 minutes, until they are browned. Well, browner than the sad brown they were when you bought them. 

Drain them on a paper towel. Pat-pat-pat them down to get most of the oil off, then put in another bowl and toss with the seasonings of your choice while they're still warm. 

I used sea salt and some fresh cracked pepper. I figured I'd keep it simple and let the other ingredients speak for themselves. 

I then finely cut some green onion bits. We are now ready to layer! Apricot -- wee chunk of cheese -- onion slivers in a crissy-crossy pattern -- and the big finale, your roasted almond. 

This is my go-to plate of goodies for future potlucks/wine nights/housewarmings/birthdays...and maybe just when I feel like making wee treats for my own damn self. 

Get cooking/baking/treatin', 
Stace.

Source: http://reluctantentertainer.com/2011/06/day-13-keeping-fruits-nuts-and-cheeses-on-hand-for-apricot-and-goat-cheese-bites-recipe/

No comments: