Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Quick n' Dirty.

....though I really recommend you wash them first. What?! 

I'm talking about big, beautiful russet (baker) potatoes. I always leave the skins on mine for extra vitamins, but feel free to peel them if you're so inclined. My title refers to the fact that I can only provide the recipe and one measly photo! I made this yesterday, but failed to take pics of the progress.

Crud! Sorry about that. Alas, this was some of the best soup I've ever made and so will definitely make it again.

I made a post on Facebook that I was cooking up a gongshow amount of bacon, in prep for this recipe. I got emails, comments, and conversations at the office today asking me how it turned out. Um....AWESOME, that's how. Wait, did I say that already? Right. Yes. BEST soup. Let's even throw a "HOT damn!" in there. 

So now it's your turn. Do you own a crockpot? Then make this. Like, tomorrow night. 

INGREDIENTS: 
- 4 Large baking potatoes. Cut 'em in 1/2" cubes 
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 900ml container of chicken broth 
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter 
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt 
- 1 tspn black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed  
 ----- < ---- this is me separating the ingredients for you, so it's easier to follow. Because I care. 

- 1 cup half n' half cream 
- 1/2 package of bacon, cooked in 'da oven (if you need help on this one, leave a comment and I'll fill you in!) Cut up into wee pieces. Not bacon-bit small, but about 1/2" or so each. 
- 1 cup diced green onions 
- Shredded cheese, as desired 

OK. Turn your crockpot on low and put the first eight ingredients in there to simmer for 8 hours. In a hurry? Put it on high for 4 hours instead. 

After time has passed, do a gentle mash (I like mine a bit lumpy.) Add the cream, bacon, and green onions and stir. Put the crock on simmer (if you have that setting) or just on low until you are ready to eat. Add shredded cheese to each bowl when served. 

C'mon! This screams "I am a satisfying bowl of Canadian Fall/Winter dinner!" Right? Right. 

Get cooking, 
 Stace.

No comments: