Monday, June 24, 2013

It doesn't get much more Irish...

...than the potato.

When I was younger and someone would ask "OK. You can eat only one thing for the rest of your life. What do you choose?" My answer was always mashed potatoes. I could eat that stuff by the basin-full. IF they were done right, mind you. Too dry? No thanks. Too lumpy? I'll pass, but good on you for trying. Your efforts do not go unnoticed. *Hint: Add cream cheese.

Now as an adult I definitely still love my mashed potatoes, but have matured (heh, that was fun to say,) to other varieties of potato preparation. Tonight's dinner was simple and involved parm, as did yesterday's dinner. I have a container of it that is on the verge of it's expiry date so I'm doing what I can because throwing out food actually makes me feel unwell. Not even kidding; I get itchy-like. My food conscience has a bit of a meltdown, which is why I usually grocery shop for only one or two meals at a time rather than risk tossing food that's gone off.

I should have my own express aisle at the shops. Or the cashier's could at least make the effort to ask my name when they see my face so often. Anyhow, I digress.

Back to the potato! Again, all measurements approximate.
Preheat your oven to 425.

~ Depending on how many you are feeding, use 1/2-to-full bag of mini potatoes. I used the little yellow ones tonight but you can use any. The wee purple ones are always a good time.
~ 1/4 cup shaker parmesan cheese
~ Couple tablespoons of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
~ 1 tablespoon dried basil
~ 1 tablespoon dried oregano
~ 1 tablespoon Montreal Steak Spice (What?! Yeah. Bet you didn't see that one coming.)

Wash your taters and halve each, then toss them in a big bowl. Pour the oil over top and and roll about (the potatoes, not yourself. Or both, I don't care. Just finish the prep.) Then shake the spices over the potatoes, and toss again to evenly coat. I use a wooden spoon for this because it doesn't slice into or smush the potatoes. They may grow in dirt, but these ain't no "50 Shades Of" dirt-ay vegetables. Be gentle.

Spread them out on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes, flip them around a bit, then bake for about another 10 minutes until they are a lovely shade of golden brown.

Dig in! I loves me some vinegar so I added a bit of that, but feel free to eat them au natural, or maybe with some ketchup. Or sweet n' sour. Or hoisin. Or....oh man, so many options. And I can't throw out any credit to a site on this one as I *GASP* came up with it myself. Oh, the progress being made in my kitchen is truly outstanding! (The next one will be from Pinterest, for sure. Don't fret.)

Get cooking,
Stace.

No comments: